Here Are Five Conditions:
1. Entire dependence on the Lord Jesus Christ. His merits and intervention are the only basis for any claim to blessing. (See John 14:13-14; 15:16)
2. Separation from all known sin. Psalm 66:18: “If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.”
3. Faith in God’s Word. If I don’t believe what God says, I imply that God is a liar and perjurer. Hebrews 11:6: “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” (See also vv. 13-20.)
4. Ask according to His will. Our motives must be godly. We must not seek any gift from God just to satisfy our own lusts. (See 1 John 5:14; James 4:3.)
5. Persistence in prayer. We must wait on God and wait for God. (See James 5:7; Luke 18:1-8.)
Taken from Simple Trust Simple Prayers: Life-Changing Lessons from the Journals of George Mueller by Cindy Mallen, Appendix A, p. 102.